SC - salted cheese?

Kappler, MMC Richard A. KAPPLERR at swos.navy.mil
Wed Feb 10 10:40:12 PST 1999

Just received one of my latest auction purchases, "The History of
Medieval Europe" by Lynn Thorndike, 1917; and whilst browsing through
and savoring the pleasure that only an old book can give, I came across
the following passage:  "Constantinople imported grain from Egypt for
its populace, who also ate salted provisions a good deal - fish, ham,
and cheese."

Fish and ham I understand, but cheese?  I realize salt is used in making
cheese, but the impression I get from this is of salt used to preserve
cheese for extended periods.  Am I reading too much into this or missing
some basic cheesy knowledge and now giving Margali the cheesemaker a
good laugh behind her hand?

curiouser and curiouser was, Puck