SC - (Fwd) Re: Colours in period paintings

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 11 04:12:56 PST 1999

Erin Kenny wrote:

> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
> I'm not an expert but...
>
> Red tends to fade towards a muddy brownish red as well as lightening
> up.  A "muddy brownish light red" looks somewhat orange, so I guess
> it is possible that a red pigment to be "orange-ish" with age.

I remember this argument, and permutations thereof, bouncing back and
forth between various EK Laurels like a tennis ball, on the subject of
whether anything that appears to be pink in medieval paintings actually
_is_ pink. I believe the smart money was on yes, pink was used, at least
in some cases. No, I can't provide an explanation or proof, I just
vaguely recall the "verdict".

> On the other hand, if the orange is a bright orange, it was probably
> always orange (ie painted orange), and was painted using non-organic
> pigment.

This stands to reason. Certainly vegetable pigments tend to fade
according to certain rather predictable guidelines, as any vegetable
cook knows. If it was non-organic it seems even more likely, although
I'm curious (read surprised?) that orange should have been one for which
a non-organic source might be chosen, as it's one of the most stable
vegetable pigments.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --