SC - honey

Karen tyrca at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 11 12:00:32 PST 1999

<<<<<<<<
What exactly does clarifying (as per the original recipe) do to
honey?  Is it the same as mondern clarification?  Would it remove
enough impurities that the honey would behave like sugar?

Cairistiona

<<<<<<<<
Clarifying honey, at least ion brewing means to boil it and remove
thenscum
that formsmon top until no scum forms. I would assume that this is
removal of
impurities but really don't have a clue because I always do this when
instructed to 'remove' impuroties.

Ras
<<<<<<<<

I realize that I am way behind on my reading, and that this may have
already been covered in the digests I have yet to peruse, but I have
some little experience in honey as I have tried my hand at mead.

When honey is boiled and  the scum skimmed off, what is happening is
the removal of proteins that cloud the honey.  These (from my weak
understanding) are the results of the process that the bees use to
produce honey from collected flower nectar.

(When my son was 5, he refused to eat honey for a week because he
found out that it was "bee spit", and that bothered him.  Until he
realized that he was missing out on the honey, and he had liked it
before he found out, so he magnaminously decided to ignore the bee
process, and enjoy.)

It could be that those proteins affect the crystallization of the
honey. It is not hard to remove them if you heat the honey slowly and
don't scorch it (not a fun thing).

(Ok, now I am back under the rock, and waiting to see how far from
correct my opinions and assumptions are.  Adamantius? Ras? Bear??)

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir
- -"Honesty is Everything"
AoA, OPN, ASTA, oleander
Barony of Elfsea (Life is Good in Elfsea!)
(all sorts of places in and around Ft. Worth, TX)
Kingdom of Ansteorra