SC - Re: redaction challenge

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 12 20:24:47 PST 1999

Ian Gourdon wrote:

>  The only word I just can't figure
> out
> is "Arboulastre" obviously the name of the dish. I'm not sure just what
> kind
> of pan is meant by 'paelle' but in modern French 'poele' is a frying
> pan,
> which I guess would sort of work for this...

An arboulastre is presumed to be the same thing as an herbolaste, which
can be found in Taillevent and the 14th-century English sources, I
believe (writing as I am off the top of my head, so to speak). An
omelette, frittata, or tortilla of eggs, herbs, and cheese...it's not
really much like a quiche because it lacks other liquid to make it a
true custard. As for a "paelle", think of the pan paella is cooked in,
and you get the idea. This one seems to have  a pastry shell, which many
such recipes lack.

The second pan of coals seems to be something of a rare innovation,
too...in this type of dish, anyway.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy