SC - Rendered horse fat

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sat Feb 13 15:54:22 PST 1999

And it came to pass on 13 Feb 99,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I have had a VERY difficult time finding any information dealing
> with this subject other than personal feelings, gut reactions, and
> other non-substantive sources.

Not a recipe, but...

The _Arte Cisoria_, the 1423 carving manual I mentioned recently,
refers to the cooking of horses.  They are *not* on the list of
quadrupeds commonly eaten in Spain, but they are mentioned in a
later chapter, when the author is giving instructions for carving
specific animals.  Having given the proper carving for various cattle
and deer, he goes on to say [my translation], "The horse, in Turkey
and Tartary, where they eat it as an esteemed food, they roast
whole, and the thighs with the tail and the pelt, until the middle of
the backbone as the better [part], and from it they slice wide and
thin slices, at the feasts, before those of superior station, and
those for the people they leave small."

I do not know how much reliance one can place on the comments
of a 15th century Spaniard regarding Turkish dietary habits.

Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann