SC - OT - [fwd] Re: True SCA Story

James Gilly / Alasdair mac Iain alasdair.maciain at snet.net
Sun Feb 14 06:14:41 PST 1999

Off topic, but amusing.  Forwarded from the Merry Rose - part of a thread
which started with the story of Duke Vissevald's pugil-stick exploits in
the Army.

>From: Erikawful at aol.com
>Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 08:41:28 EST
>To: atlantia at atlantia.sca.org
>Subject: Re: True SCA Story
>

>Poster: Erikawful at aol.com
>
>In a message dated 2/10/99 11:50:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
magnusm at ncsu.edu
>writes:
>
>>  > Flieg is also fond of what happened to Theoderick of Skane one
>>  > day.  Theoderick pulled into a 7-11 lot and as he got out of his
>>  > car three young tuoghs came toward him.  He'd been fighting for a
>>  > few months at the time.  He reached into the back seat and pulled
>>  > out a field-legal sword.  On of the toughs took one look and told
>>  > his friends--  "Look out!  He's SCA!  He'll beat the shit out of us!"
>>  > Needless to say--the gang left abruptly.
>>  >
>>  >      --Hal
>>  >

>From the book "Pool Cues, Beer Bottles, and Baseball Bats, a manual of
>expedient weapons", by Marc ("Animal") MacYoung:
>
>In one section of the book he describes various stances you might see in an
>opponent during a fight - watch out for kendo jocks, fencers, etc. Then comes
>a sketch of something looking vaguely Oldcastle-ish, described as "the SCA
>stance". Quoting as best I recall,
>
>"Remember those medieval types I mentioned in an earlier chapter? If you see
>this stance, DON'T GO NEAR THE GUY. It's goofy-looking, but if you get in
>range, you'll get your ass blasted across the county line. Problem is, you
>don't know WHICH county line it'll be. They can hit you from any
direction..."

>He also suggests looking the SCA up for training in full-contact sword and
>polearm.
>
>Erich

Laird Alasdair mac Iain of Elderslie
Dun an Leomhain Bhig
Canton of Dragon's Aerie [southeastern CT]
Barony Beyond the Mountain  [northern & southeastern CT]
East Kingdom
Argent, a chevron cotised azure surmounted by a sword and in chief two
mullets sable