SC - favorite outdoor recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Feb 14 14:21:29 PST 1999

At 1:22 PM -0600 2/11/99, Shari Burnham wrote:

>Speaking of which, perhaps those experts still at home/on this list may
>tell me
>what is their favorite recipe(s) to use when cooking out of doors?  the
>feast in
>july is going to be outdoors, for my entire house (about 35 people) and I have
>access to grocery stores (read:small town, 160 people) about 10 min from
>site.  I
>will have big ugly men to feed, myself and spouse are only vegetarians. I
>wish to
>do some testing ahead of time.  Over open fire pit is an option, since we
>have a
>large fire pit grate that is about 3' wide by 4 1/2' long and we've done
>interesting cooking on it at Pennsic's prior.

I've got a couple of articles (Camping Without a Cooler and A Dinner at
Pennsic) which discuss what we have done on occaion, webbed at:
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Medieval/Articles/More_Articles.html
In particular, the lentil recipe in there is probably my favorite outdoor
dish, with a pot of rice for the lentils to go over. And it is vegetarian
(assuming you eat eggs) and very easy.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook