SC - Baba Ganoush and Hummus

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 15 07:20:56 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> I am unfamiliar with baba-ghanoush but hummus appears to not be period. There
> are no recipes that remotely resemble this combination of ingredients in any
> translated middle eastern or Andalusian period sources SFAIK.
>
> al-Sayyid Ras

Hmm. I vaguely recall there was a period recipe _somewhere_ for a
tahini-less hummus puree. Bearing in mind, of course, that hummus just
means chick peas, as opposed to hummus bis tahini, which is only one
type of hummus eaten today in the Middle East, the stuff with the
garlic, sesame paste, lemon, oil and green stuff.

I believe baba ghanoush is late or post-period Turkish, which is
probably why you won't find it in Al-Baghdadi or the Andalusian
collection(s). I dunno if there's a recognizable period recipe or not.
The name reputedly means "spoiled old daddy", in reference to the
toothless father of the cook who first created the dish. Having
personally been asked to take the time to finely chop green salads down
to a sort of mush for elderly patrons in restaurants, I can sort of
believe this.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --