SC - Diabetes

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Thu Feb 18 18:37:30 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/18/99 4:19:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jlmatterer at labyrinth.net writes:

<< My roommate tells me that certain South American tribes knew of diabetes
 and also how to treat it. They determined the illness by tastimg the
 sick one's urine. If sweet, then diabetes was present. Knowing how much
 Medieval physicains relied on examining their patient's urine, I can't
 help but wonder if perhaps the same kind of evaluation may have been
 done? >>

Yep.  Hussein al-Halabi (I think I have the name right) did a wondeful class
at the Rusted Woodlands East Kingdom University just a week or so ago about
medieval medicine and surgery, and there definitely knew about diabetes, at
least the sweet urine and constant thirst part.  I don't know if they had any
treatments for it, other than maybe noting that limiting sweet foods might
help.

Brangwayna Morgan