SC - Milk delivery

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Feb 20 22:20:00 PST 1999

"Alderton, Philippa" wrote:

> Have been watching this thread with interest. I'm rather surprised at the
> lack of personal service most of you seem to encounter.

I think local economies evolve according to conditions and needs, and
the changes reflect changed needs, both of the private citizen and the
public as a whole, and no change is only for the worse. Home milk
delivery (purely as an example) began to go out because the demand began
to decrease; the late 1950's and early 1960's saw the rise of the
supermarket as we know it, and you can be sure that if enough people
thought home milk delivery was important enough to their lives, the
small local dairies wouldn't have been driven out of business. Sometimes
honest virtue isn't enough, more's the pity.

Now, it's true that the only medical attention I can get to come to my
home at an odd hour is via the paramedics, but then I can have decent
Thai food delivered to my door at 3AM. The net effect is mitigated somewhat.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com