SC - Okra

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 21 09:29:37 PST 1999

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/21/99 1:43:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
> writes:
>
> << Of course, the absence of a given food from the Andalusian recipes
>  sampled in The Miscellany doesn't necessarily mean they're absent from
>  the primary source. It may simply be that His Grace and/or his team-mate
>  redactors haven't gotten to an akra recipe yet, or that okra may appear
>  in another recipe collection from Al-Islam.
>
>  Adamantius >>
>
> or possibly that His Grace sees this as a 'scribal error' much similar to the
> scribal errors evident in recipes containing 'saffron'. :-)
>
> Ras

Possibly, possibly. It wasn't my intention to criticize His Grace's
work; I just put forth a possible explanation, to the effect that it
might simply appear elsewhere than in the recipes or sources covered. On
the other hand, it may not.

Now I _am_ in a position to prove that the plethora of Islamic recipes
purporting to involve eggplant are in fact the result of either
inaccurate translaton and/or scribal errors. In all cases where the
words "eggplant" or "aubergine" appear, the words "beef tenderloin
steak" should be substituted for a more accurate reading.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com