SC - Roux

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sat Feb 20 10:54:18 PST 1999

Hey all from Anne-Marie

Ras sez:
>Vehling uses roux exrensively in his translation of Apicius. Was the
technique
>lost or was it an unacceptable method of thickening for noble/wealthy
>households in the MA and therefore not included in the recipes we have record
>of?

well golly shucky gee and whiz...and here I've been going and saying it was
the French who invented it! :)

(for those not in the know, Vehlings work on Apicius, while readily
available, is considered crummy at best by several of us. He takes great
liberties in his translation and has an unfortunate habit of "fixing"
things that "just couldnt be right" becuase *everyone knows* that you dont
(fill in the perfectly approparite historical technique here)") I
personally blame him for much of the confusion on whether or not green
beans are period for medievalists. Hmph.

- --Anne-Marie