SC - "bog butter"

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 16:41:02 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/22/99 5:05:49 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
snowfire at mail.snet.net writes:

> It then had to be de-haired by passing a knife through it several times to
>  remove any animal hairs on the knife edge.

I've milked many a dairy beast by hand.  If the udder is washed competently
first, and the milking done properly, there shouldn't be any hair in the milk.
Now don't tell me our Medieval cousins, or even our Prehistoric cousins, or
our relatives in the Orkneys who do this all the time don't know how it's
done.  Sounds like the "researcher" is making it up as he/she goes along, or
reporting on the results of his/her own amateur experiments.  Besides that,
the easier way to remove hair from butter would be to strain the milk through
a "faire cloth" before allowing the butter to form.

Mordonna