SC - Milk delivery

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Feb 22 17:02:19 PST 1999

Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>All very interesting.

>Where I live (in Canberra) the milkman still comes each morning and delivers
>milk, cream, yoghurts, eggs and bread.  Unfortunately you can't get it in
>glass bottles anymore, which I object to, as they were at least used again.

We still get the glass milk bottles in Wales.  We get tall bottles with metal
caps for "Sterilised milk" and the fat thicker bottles with foil caps for the
pasteurised.  There are three colours of foil top for the pasteurised milk.
Red for low fat, silver for full cream, and gold for Jersey milk.  If the
weather is very cold you have to leave something for the milkman to use to
cover the top of the milk bottles until you go out to get it from the
doorstep (usually an egg cup or the top of something) because the birds peck
through the foil caps and drink the cream from the top of the bottles if
they're left uncovered.

Elysant