SC - Re: Fo: your fame spreads

Mark Waks, AKA Justin du Coeur justin at intermetrics.com
Tue Feb 23 08:20:21 PST 1999

"Oughton, Karin (GEIS, Tirlan)" wrote:
> iJustin - is the STC microfilm on the web or is it attainable from
> libraries? Do you have any ISBN or similar numbers?

Better research libraries often have it -- there are two copies that I
know of in Boston, at Brandeis and Northeastern. It's unlikely to show
up on the Web any time soon: it's several *thousand* reels of microfilm,
with hundred of pages of facsimile per reel. (I literally mean that it
is *every* extant book published in English before 1700. That's a lot of
books.) The whole set costs a bundle, which is why it's not all that
common. It's kinda hard to find, but well worth the effort -- almost
every reel has something cool on it. I've lost many hours simply winding
through reels at random, to see what I find...

"STC" refers to the "Short Title Catalog", which was a massive project
at the beginning of this century, to catalog all early published works
in English that had known extant copies. The original STC was edited by
Pollard & Redgrave, and covers up to 1640. This was followed by "STC II"
by Wing, which covers 1641-1700. Both are available as separate
microfilm collections, although libraries tend to buy both if they're
buying either.

I seem to recall that my lady wife had found Web info about the
microfilm collection; I think it's from UMI. Jane, do you remember where
that was?

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

* It can be up or down. It's more fun when it's up, but it makes it
  hard to get any real work done.
		-- From "Why the Internet is Like a Penis"
		   (by Degan Dale?)