SC - Documentation

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 24 00:31:26 PST 1999

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> I have a
> question, though, what is the line "tempere +in powajes with wyne;"
> referring to?  Is powajes = pottage? as in the broth and meat?

You got me.

Since Austin apparently saw nothing confusing about the term (and
probably since we're all spoiled by Connie Hieatt's work), we're left
with a huge question mark, unless perhaps we can look in a
fifteenth-century English dictionary. The context would seem to indicate
either the pottage in general is to be thinned down a bit with wine, or
the last two named ingredients, the cinnamon and the ginger (I think)
are to be what Scully usually calls "distempered" (basically infused) in
wine. I think the end result would be more or less the same.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com