SC - Symbols in original English recipes

Laura C Minnick lainie at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 24 09:26:28 PST 1999

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Keeping this in mind I will be using (th) for a Thorn  and (s) for the
> elongated s symbol or other letter equivalents

You mean a yogh? (Sometimes presented as a stretched out 3) The equivalent
would usually be either y or gh. Or is it some other obscure ME letter
that you had in mind?

personally, I don't have a problem with writing a thorn as th. That's how
it came down to our modern language anyway.

'Lainie
- -
Laura C. Minnick
University of Oregon
Department of English
- -
"Libraries have been the death of many great men, particularly the
Bodleian."
	Humfrey Wanley, c. 1731