SC - Melons.

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 26 23:49:29 PST 1999

At 5:37 PM -0800 2/26/99, Huette von wrote:
>In "The Four Seasons of the House of Cerruti" which
>is a reprint of the "Tacuinum Sanitatis in Medicina"
>which is a 14th century Italian/Latin health manual,
>melons are depicted.  Unfortunately, I don't have
>the book in front of me at the moment. (I am at
>work.)  If you need more specifics, I will post them
>here on Monday.

The fact that something is in Tacuinum Sanitatis doesn't necessarily mean
it was available in 14th c. Italy, since the text is translated (I believe)
from the Arabic original. Some of the illustrations are pretty clearly by
artists who had never seen the originals.

I would check in Platina; I'm almost certain you will find melons.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com