SC - Currents, Grease and Other Thoughts

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Feb 27 14:26:40 PST 1999

At 4:53 PM -0500 2/27/99, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Other terms that mean something different in period include
>cinnamon (modern word for cassia; medieval term for true cinnamon),

That's a little tricky. The Andalusian cookbook refers to two different
kinds of cinnamon, one of which is called "chinese cinnamon." My impression
from past discussions is that it isn't clear whether the period "canel"
meant cassia, true cinnamon, or one of the other things in the same family,
or perhaps meant different things to different people. Do you have evidence
from which we can be sure?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/