SC - Frumenty using barley?

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Feb 28 07:33:16 PST 1999

hello from Anne-Marie

I thought I heard my name! :)
re: frumenty, Adamantius sez:
>You are probably right, but the references made on this list were, I
>believe, based on a reference in Le Menagier de Paris. Anne Marie
>Rousseau is the person to talk to about this, she being the person who
>brought it up originally and posted recipes and all, but as I recall Le
>Menagier's recipe for frumenty explains how to hull and boil wheat
>exactly as one would barley, hence the deduction that frumenty could be
>made from barley, too.

yep, that's the one. and I stated (hopefully very clearly) that it was a
"cheat" of sorts. There are also contemporary similar recipes for using
barley for invalids (including le menagier, if memeory servers).

I also concur that barley would be peasant food (we served it at a BoonDay
meal), not the food of the rich. We have citations of bread being made from
barley when the wheat was not available in times of famine.

hmmm...its interesting to think that the term "frumenty" might be reserved
for the wheat dish, as opposed to the cooking technique/concept. Hadnt
thought of it that way before....

- --Anne-Marie d'Ailleurs, who's up to her eyeballs in doing the kitchen for
baronial banquet next weekend. eek! we're $1.50 a person over budget! Where
did I put that produce pricing list? how much IS balsamic vinegar a cup? oh
no! a bunch of cooks just contacted me saying they wanna come play, but
they dont have tickets, and its sold out! ah, the joys of being the
cuisinier....:)