SC - My try at Roman Roast

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 06:33:06 PST 1999

>I used a double layer of medium wieght foil, as that was what I had and
>placed it on a baking pan. Good thing I did as the juices/salt leaked
>out.

The foil sounds good for cooking in the coals, or as substitute for
enough real pans for a feast, but at home I think I'd just use a good
heavy dutch oven, or use a roasting bag.

>I doubt it is in anyway period as cooked but it is delicous. I would
>suspect that meat would be cut into thin strips before salting rather
>than salting a whole roast, although maybe a roast could be put into
>brine? I don't think a roman legion on the move would have baked it.
Why not roasted using the wrapped with wet clay method?  or wrapped in
wet leaves?  Don't both of these ideas go back to that era?

Bonne