SC - Pumpkin pie OOP

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 07:38:12 PST 1999

>>BEST is using fresh pumpkin! Back when we lived in the greater
Portland
>>(OR) area and had a garden, I would cook pumpkin and freeze it in bags
>>with enough for a batch of pies or pumpkin bread.
>
>I also like it with fresh pumpkin, but have never had a garden.
However,
>we always did buy a pumpkin to make a jack-o-lantern out of.  So I'd
just
>be sure to cut out enough bits of pumpkin when carving the face to get
the
>2 cups or so needed to make one pie.

Heck! Use the entire jack o'lantern!  Why not?  We don't put jack out
until halloween night (some neighbors set him out days or weeks in
advance) and we blow out the candle and stick him in the fridge at the
end of the evening.  Next day, cut him up, and cook him, leaving any wax
spills and sooty bits out of the pot.   If you don't do a jack
o'lantern, just buy a butternut squash.  YOu can get a couple or 4 pies
out of it depending on the size, and the flavor is much richer than even
the little "pie" pumpkins some stores sell.