SC - Grits and Chocolate and Tea

Margo Hablutzel margolh at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Feb 1 08:23:43 PST 1999

Trying to get all the OOP stuff out of the way at once.

Grits:  The best ones are slow-cooked.  Instant grits are like instant
oatmeal, to be consumed ONLY if there is no other food available at hand, as
when you are backpacking in high elevations and boiling anything for twenty
or so minutes is problematic.  Anyone remember how grits were a key point in
the trial in the film, "My Cousin Vinny"?  Leftover grits are fine for
frying, just like leftover cornmeal mush, which I think is the Yankee
version.

(I also eat hominy, anyone want to start a discussion of THAT?)

As for chocolate, I am actually allergic.  Consumption of chocolate gives me
violent migraine headaches that actually knock me out cold.  Even the smell
of chocolate will give me a headache, so I must avoid chocolateries.  I do
bake some amazing brownies, and know they are done when the smell gives me a
headache.  (Foolproof!)  (I always astound people when I cook with
chocolate, since I cannot eat it.  The reactions to my Barbarian Shield
Cake, or truffles, have been truly amazing, and no Ras, I do NOT give out
the recipe!)

No, I am not devastated that I cannot eat chocolate.  Given the reaction it
provokes in me, I have absolutely no interest in it, and cannot understand
why other people enjoy it.  (But my best friend, a chocoholic, is appalled
by my love of licquorice, so I guess it takes all kinds.)

Tea:  I have had it both ways (sweet and dry).  It's not everywhere in the
South that it's automatically sweetened, just east of the Mississippi.  I
try to avoid too much sugar  (why waste it in a beverage when you can have
it in pie?) so I make sure how I ask for it.  And I do run into odd looks up
North when I want iced tea in the wintertime.  Of course, in other parts of
the country you don't get a glass of water without asking - and refills
without reminding.

Just to toss in one non-OOP thing, yes, they had ices of a fashion, mostly
flavoured snow, in period.  Ice-cream and the like date from post-1600CE.

						---= Morgan

	           |\     THIS is the cutting edge of technology!
<mailto:Hablutzel at compuserve.com> Hablutzel at compuserve.com
	                      Morgan Cain * Steppes, Ansteorra

	                     May God have mercy on my enemies
	                     For they shall certainly need it.

	      For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism.

                I intend to live forever -- so far, so good!