SC - Quantities of salt and spices used.

James L. Matterer jlmatterer at labyrinth.net
Mon Feb 1 16:05:28 PST 1999

david friedman wrote:

> And what evidence does he offer for the existence of the
> phenomenon--overuse of spices--that he is explaining?

Very little, I'm afraid. He tends to speak from attitude and opinion
when it comes to his descriptions of what Medieval food must have been
like. He makes the broad statement that "Spices were used far more
lavishly than in our day" then goes on to say "Practically all ordinary
meats and game, fish and poultry, as well as stewed fruit and desserts
of every description, were so loaded with cinnamon, ginger, cloves,
cubebs, pepper, galingale (cypress root), mace, and nutmeg, one or all,
that whatever had been taken as the basis of the dish was made
practically unrecognizable."

Other quotes include "the practice of smothering ordinary meats with
spices" and "Even in England two or three generation ago many dishes
still retained a strikingly Medieval character, and were spiced far
beyond what the average modern appetite can easily endure."

Mead's obvious distaste for Medieval food makes him an odd choice for
author of a book on Medieval feasting; it's sad to note that as late as
1967, the pub. date of my copy of his book, his attitude was still
prevalent.

In addition to using weakness of product as an excuse for their supposed
lavish use, Mead claims that spices were used in abundance becaus
Medieval man believed they aided digestion in a meat heavy diet, and
that spice was "employed to cover up incipient decay." He also states
that "whatever the reason, most dishes were smothered in spices, whether
needed or not." Mead's evidence is mostly references to household
records and recipes.

Huen
- --
A Boke of Gode Cookery