SC - Peanuts-possibly OOP

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Feb 1 18:01:15 PST 1999

Ok good gentles, answer me this if you will, if the reports of cocaine found
in Egyptian mummies are to be believed and they also traded with South
America why didn't the Egyptians have boiled peanuts, corn bread, taters,
real honest to god chili, and grits.  Come to think of it turkeys and at
least one armadillo, I have the documentation for both, made the passage to
Europe in the 16th century so why not an earlier date for them too?  If
Hansen's disease is indeed old world then maybe that's how armadillos became
leprous?:-)

I am presently trying to picture what the hieroglyphic for an armadillo
would look like, but all I can see in my mind's eye is a dead one by the
side of the road with his feet in the air clutching a long neck.

Seriously if we are going to discuss pre-Columbian trade between the old and
new worlds we need come up with some explainations regarding the lack of
resistence in the population of the new world, to some very common Old World
diseases.  Chance early exposures to such diseases in the 16th century are
reported to have decimated the indigenous populations in various locations
well up into the 19th century.