SC - Quantities of salt and spices used.

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Feb 1 20:58:09 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/1/99 11:41:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, Devra at aol.com
writes:

<<  In period, spices were usually on the (Silk) Road something like
 three years after their harvesting, before they came to the cooks' hands. >>

Many spices if left whole and stored properly have an 'indefinite' shelf life.
Ground spices do not. If you were talking ground spices I could see your point
but I feel that those who say that MA cooks used more because they were using
stale spices are wrong.

The bottom line is that quantities are not given so there is no need to
conjecture that large amounts were used in any dish. The people who originally
came up with this reasoning are other Victorian writers or modern writers
parroting the earlier writers.

Ras