SC - Buckwheat Groats

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 15:41:36 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/2/99 6:13:37 AM US Mountain Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

>  I gather, from reading the Domestroi, that "kasha" is simply a Russian
>  term meaning "grain", but agree that in most cases today it seems to
>  refer to buckwheat.

I'm trying to follow HG Cariadoc's redaction of the Domostroi recipe for
cabbage and greens on page 9 of the Miscellany.  Not being familiar with
buckwheat groats or kasha, I tried wheat bran.  The recipe says to add the
grain and then cook until the liquid is almost gone.  The liquid didn't go
anywhere.  It wasn't absorbed.  I don't see how whole grain will absorb it
better than the bran, but I want to try it.

Mordonna