SC - Frumenty Recipes

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 2 17:11:08 PST 1999

John le Burguillun wrote:

> In 12 years in the SCA, I've
>never once seen frumenty served at an event.  I've decided to serve it
>as a side dish with roast meat in March.  The problem is, I've found too
>many recipes and don't know a "good" one from a "bad" one.  In the
>interest of saving time and avoiding subjecting my wife to multiple
>trial versions, would those of you who have a reliable recipe mind
>sharing it?  Thanks!

Here is our version of frumenty from the current Miscellany.

Frumente
Curye on Inglysch p. 98 (Forme of Cury no. 1)

To make frumente. Tak clene whete & braye yt wel in a morter tyl the holes
gon of; sethe it til it breste in water. Nym it vp & lat it cole. Tak good
broth & swete mylk of kyn or of almand & tempere it therwith. Nym yelkys of
eyren rawe & saffroun & cast therto; salt it; lat it nought boyle after the
eyren been cast therinne. Messe it forth with venesoun or with fat motoun
fresch. [end of original; thorns replaced with th]

1 c cracked wheat	1/3 c whole milk (or almond milk)	4 threads
saffron
2 c water	2 egg yolks	1/2 t salt
1/3 c chicken broth

Bring water to a boil. Add wheat and bring back to a boil, cook about 10
min, then remove lid and cool, with occasional stirring to hasten the
cooling and break up the pasty lumps. Crush saffron into a little of the
broth; add saffron, broth and whole milk to the wheat and heat. When heated
through, stir in egg yolks and salt. Frumenty is traditionally served with
venison; this recipe also suggests serving with mutton.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook