SC - Breakfast OOP North vrs South

Jennifer D. Miller jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Wed Feb 3 16:07:58 PST 1999

White rice with milk, butter, sugar, raisins and cinnamon was a  _supper_
dish in my family.  We never ate it for breakfast, to my recollection.  I
must admit, it was not my favorite dish (I hated trying to choke that stuff
down, yuck).  Dad, Mom and sister liked it though.  I have a suspicion that
we were fed it when money was tight, but I'll have to look into that.

Another dish my family served was milk toast.  It is one of my Dad's
favorite _breakfasts_.  You toast white bread (not wheat), butter it, and
pour warm or scalded milk over the toast.  You then sprinkle it with salt
and pepper to taste.  The result is soggy bread that you then eat with a
fork.  Sounds a lot like sippets, doesn't it?  It is another dish I was not
fond of, although I have heard many people regard it as comfort food.

- --Yana
born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska.  Parents also from NE, Dad served in
the army during Vietnam.