SC - spice question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 4 18:15:06 PST 1999

Daniel Phelps wrote:

> So what did the stuff in the other bag, look like/smell like.   Little
> chunks could be blades of mace perhaps.

> >I also have another bag that seems to have lost it's label.
> >Little chunks of something. Sigh. Maybe if I can find my
> >receipt I can figure out what I'm missing.
> >--
> >Lord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Depends on the little chunks, as suggested above. Could be mace, if they
are orangey-brown, waxy-textured and slightly leathery, like the bran
layer from a peanut in shreds. On the other hand, if they're
reddish-brown or light brown chunks of woody root, it might be sliced
galingale. Check for a eucalptus smell, either as is or when a piece is
hammered, ground, smashed, or otherwise cut open. If so, that'd prolly
be galingale.

I'm assuming, BTW, that your reddish-brown peppercorns labelled
"cardamom" are in fact the typical cardamom and not grains of paradise,
which look  a little like deformed apple seeds. I imagine the Pepperer's
Guild wouldn't be labelling a somewhat expensive product as something cheaper.

 Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com