SC - Period Sausages

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Fri Feb 5 19:24:42 PST 1999

> At 7:43 AM -0500 1/15/99, Margo Farnsworth wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a source for period  sausage recipies?

I have a Spanish recipe for one type of sausage; I do not know how
useful it will be for a Scottish feast.

from: "Libro del Arte de Cozina" (Spanish, 1599)

"Salchicas for Summer"
[note: salchicas are a particular kind of suasage.]

Take a piece of veal, from the shoulder or the leg, and if it were
from the shoulder, remove those nerves, and chop the veal very well
with a good piece of bacon, and chop it all together, and take your
sheep intestines and wash them very well with your water and salt,
and season the meat very well with pepper, ginger and nutmeg,
and little clove, because it is bitter, and a little fennel, breaking it,
and first clean it, and cast it into this same meat, and stuff it inside
the intestines, and tie them like salchicas, and then roast them
and garnish them with small boneless loins of mutton upon a sop,
or however the official desires.

In service,
Brighid

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain