SC - Waffres ala Master Huen

Mordonna22 at aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sat Feb 6 09:11:00 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/6/99 9:50:13 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
jlmatterer at labyrinth.net writes:

>  I've never made it with fish - I have no idea what would be an
>  appropraite substitute for the womb of a luce. Cavier? And could I find
>  a womb on my own without having to find a whole uncleaned pike?

I think I would substitute the roe of pike, shad, or carp.  They are not so
easily found as canned caviar, but are cheaper when you can find them.  I've
never bought roe, but have seen them for sale in seafood markets in season.  I
used to operate a seafood market/restaurant.  My ex-husband and I caught
almost all the fresh water fish we sold.  Roe was a rare treat, so none of it
ever seemed to make it to market.  When the carp or shad were running, and we
had a large catch, we saved all the roe, and would invite his large family for
a fish fry.  The roe were always the first things to be cooked, and to be
eaten.  Never had any left over.
In that part of the South, shad is called a "garbage" fish.  We'd often catch
them in our nets, though.  We never wasted the meat.  The roe was a treat.
The flesh we made into fish meal for fish cakes, and for bait, and for animal
feed.  (The cats LOVED it.)
Carp is only eaten in season, when they are laying, and then only the females
with eggs.  Seems the males, and the females out-of-season, have a strong,
objectionable oily taste.  I personally have caught females of about four and
a half feet long with roe of up to eight inches long.  The flesh is flaky,
white, and a bit oily.  I would filet it, and fry it, bake it, or grill it. To
fry it I would salt it, then flour it with plain yellow cornmeal and deep fry
it.  Or coat it with a cornmeal batter.  To bake it, I would season it with
salt and pepper, butter, and a touch of garlic.  Sometimes I'd add savory
herbs.  To grill it, I would marinate it in lemon juice and season with salt
and pepper then grill over hot coals just until done through, then serve with
lemon wedges and butter.
Back home in South Carolina the Carp season will begin in mid spring and run
through late summer.  I'll be missing such piscatory treats then.  Here in
Atenveldt seafood is so prohibitively expensive that I rarely eat any.

Mordonna