SC - Waffres ala Master Huen

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Feb 6 14:29:23 PST 1999

<snip>

>I bow to your expertise, M'Lady.
>However, putting the stomach of a luce, or of a pike into such a delicate
>recipe makes no sense.  It would add a strong fishy taste, and very little
>else.
>Would it be entirely off base to think that perhaps, since this is a fish day
>recipe, in an effort to add the character of fowl eggs, which were forbidden,
>the cook chose to use fish eggs?
>
>Mordonna

Um, the recipe *does* call for hen's eggs, unless luce eggs are big enough
to crack & separate?:

Harleian MS. 279 - Leche Vyaundez

xxiiij.   Waffres.  Take [th]e Wombe of A luce, & se[th]e here wyl, & do it
on a morter, & tender chese [th]er-to, grynde hem y-fere; [th]an take
flowre an whyte of Eyroun & bete to-gedere, [th]en take Sugre an pouder of
Gyngere, & do al to-gederys, & loke [th]at [th]in Eyroun ben hote, & ley
[th]er-on of [th]in paste, & [th]an make [th]in waffrys, & serue yn.

24.  Wafers.  Take the Stomach of A pike, & seethe her well, & put it in a
mortar, & tender cheese thereto, grind them together; then take flour and
white of Eggs & beat together, then take Sugar and powder of Ginger, & put
all together, & look that thine Eggs are hot, & lay thereon of thine paste,
& then make thine wafers, & serve in.

I find the method somewhat confusing, unless we're being instructed to make
2 mixtures, i.e., a thick one with the fish & cheese, & another mixture
with flour, eggwhite, sugar & ginger.  Le Menagier (Goodman, p. 306) gives
instructions for cheese wafers that don't leak, in which the paste is
spread out, filled with strips of cheese, & then the ends of the paste are
folded into the middle, & the whole thing transferred to the waffle iron &
cooked.  I think that's what is happening here.

(<SHRIEK!>  Pocket sandwiches are period!  ;D <laughing>)

Stirring up trouble,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
renfrow at skylands.net
Recipes"