SC - brawn--was payn ragoun

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Sat Feb 6 15:13:42 PST 1999

>>Yeah, everything you never wanted to know... .<<

I did so!  And more!

>> if you actually look at a recipe for brawn, most of which seem to
occur in later period,<<

There are early brawns, though.

3 or 4 brawns are in Ordinance of Pottage, (15th C.),Brawn ryal, brawn
Sypres, brawn bruse #89, and Brawn in confyte # 65,.and Brawn ryall in
lentyn #90.  These do not call for jelly; they seem to me to be a period
form of 'lunchmeat', resembling the consistency of modern liverwurst,
being served in slices.  This is the way I plan to do them for a summer
event lunch. In my practice versions, I want to try coating some pretty
molds with aspic, molding the finished brawn, and turning it out on a
platter.  I originally thought of making a vegetarian 'brawn' and molding
it in a fish mold, but have decided that is judgemental and rude.  If
they choose not to eat fish, I'm not going to serve them a fake one!

Brawne also appears in Curye on Inglysch, (1390 thru 1400's) and is
referred to in the glossary as "the 'braun' of a fowl is breast (white)
meat."  Brawne Freturys, menu I, meat fritters.  Brawn in Gredowse
(Egerduse), Broken Brawn, Menu 2, Brokon Brawne, Menu 1, meat, evidently
served in pieces.

Two Fifteenth C. cookbooks has Fried Pork, Vol. I, pp. 136-7.  These seem
to be batter-dipped slices of cooked pork, fried.  Vol. II, pp 256-257 is
for Brawn in comfyte and is the same as 'Pottage'.  Brawn en Peuerade, p.
224, is again cooked pork slices finished up in a syrup, 'as pottage
should be', and p. 225, Browne in egurdouce, is beef, capon, or pork,
cooking it i the broth, seasoning, and serving with the liquor, so this
is now moving towards the brawns that are served in jelly, which move
forward to the galentines and the head cheese.

I've been working, lately, primarily with the earlier English corpus, so
haven't done comparative searching for French or Italian or German
brawns, but there may well be some out there.

Regards,

Allison

"It's a little known fact that the Dark Ages were caused by the Y1K
problem."

allilyn at juno.com, Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands, Pittsburgh, PA
Kingdom of Aethelmearc