SC - spice question

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 10:04:52 PST 1999

On 2/3/99 10:38 PM you wrote:

>From:	stefan at texas.net (Stefan li Rous)
>
>I also have another bag that seems to have lost it's label.
>Little chunks of something. Sigh. Maybe if I can find my
>receipt I can figure out what I'm missing.

"Little chunks" rang a bell, 8-) so I just checked on all the stuff I
have whole...

If your "little chunks" are a medium red-brown color and -very- small
(about 1mm) it might be fenugreek.  Mine smells very faintly like sweet
curry even after many years...

The Frankincense and Myrrh are quite large chunks; look like the
consistency of pine sap, obviously.  The Frank is very pale yellow, the
myrrh is more amber-orange to mud brown, and I don't have any chunks as
big as the biggest frankincense ones.  Both of these come in irregular
chunks that may be as big as 3/8 inch in one direction, down to under 1
mm-size.

Relatively speaking, the fenugreek is very regular-sized bits, and the
F&M, depending on how fine your source size-sorted, can be very irregular.

If it's galingale, there may be fibrous bits visible in the raw chunks;
mine is mostly medium tan colored; chunks sized rather like the F&M, but
matte and opaque, where the F&M looks sort of translucent -- well, some
(mostly the frank.) looks like glass bits that have been sandblasted, and
some (mostly the myrrh) looks like it still has sparkly surface bits --
if that makes sense.

Interesting; my grains of paradise are quite uniformly very dark
red-brown, about the same size but more seed-shaped than the fenugreek.

Good luck, 8-)
Chimene