SC - salted cheese?

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Wed Feb 10 11:10:56 PST 1999

yep, Puck....I can always use a good laugh!
You use salt not just for taste, but to draw out more whey [the water content
encourages the growth of nasties, hence dried, salted foods] but some milks
[goat and sheep being the worst culprets] seem to enhance the salty taste more
than cows milk. For 1 lb of cheese made in the chedder fashion [that we are
going to take to an event without refrigeration] i  use a good 2 tbsp of flake
salt and it is not what people would call particularly salty[unlike some navy
personnel I can mention..]
margali

> Fish and ham I understand, but cheese?  I realize salt is used in making
> cheese, but the impression I get from this is of salt used to preserve
> cheese for extended periods.  Am I reading too much into this or missing
> some basic cheesy knowledge and now giving Margali the cheesemaker a
> good laugh behind her hand?
>
> curiouser and curiouser was, Puck

Enjoying my weekend today and tomorrow, catching up on my e-mail...