SC - Re: Redaction Challenge

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 04:09:04 PST 1999

I'm game! (ok, bad pun)

Could someone outline the rules for me please?

Speaking of redactions, a couple of weeks ago I tried two different
redactions for Cormarye. I'm not a great fan of pork roast (except for the
crackling) as I usually find it too bland, but they were on special at my
local supermarket, so.... anyway, the first Cormarye redaction was from "The
Medieval Kitchen" by Redon et al, and the other from Terry Decker's website.
I found the MK version very tasty but extremely strong (possibly because I
cooked the pork in the sauce). Definitely a 'blast your tastebuds' time.
With TD's version, even though it doesn't say so, I decided to marinate the
pork for an hour or so before cooking, which seems to be what "Take loynes
of pork rawe and fle of the skyn, and pryk it wel with a knyf, lay it in the
sawse. Roost it whan [th]ou wilt" implies. I liked TD's version much more -
it was subtler in taste, and the mixture of flavours didn't 'fight' as much.
Both resulted in nice sweet meat however. I served the TD redaction at a
dinner party, and my guests loved it. (Thank you Terry)

I just got "The Medieval Kitchen" three weeks ago and have been going
through it. I recommend it highly, definitely well worth the money! I
haven't made a recipe out of it I didn't like yet.

Ciao,
Lucretzia