SC - Chocolate cake, crisco question, OT-OOP

Elaine McMillan emcmill at direct.ca
Fri Feb 12 08:37:12 PST 1999

M'lord Brokk,

Crisco is vegetable shortening, not lard.

I have no personal experience in having to substitute Crisco, because it is
readily available in my area and in fact is one of my kitchen staples.

The following substitution listing is from "The Cook's Thesaurus"
http://www.northcoast.com/~alden/search.html

Substitutes: Shortening, for baking (1 cup) 1 cup minus 2 Tbsp. lard or 1
cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine

Elena de Maisnilwarin
Gold Key, Barony of Lions Gate

At 05:08 PM 12/02/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>I recieved the following recipe from a friend in the US.
>I got the explanation that crisco was some sort of 'cooking lard'
>but it's not available here in Sweden and I haven't seen anything
>similar to it either.
>
>Has anyone got any ideas what i can use for a substitute (and a suitable
>amount of it as well)?

<SNIP>