SC - Chocolate cake, crisco question, OT-OOP

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 12 08:59:23 PST 1999

Brokk wrote:

> I recieved the following recipe from a friend in the US.
> I got the explanation that crisco was some sort of 'cooking lard'
> but it's not available here in Sweden and I haven't seen anything
> similar to it either.

Crisco is a partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, a solid, white
substance that behaves a lot like lard, except it hasn't as much flavor.
Some might argue that in the case of a chocolate cake, this is a good thing.

Crisco is the brand name of a product in the generic group called
vegetable shortening. You'd probably have to do some reasonably tricky
math to substitute butter, since butter has some water in it, while
vegetable shortening is more or less anhydrous, as far as I know. You'd
probably be better off substituting commercially rendered lard
(specifically because it has less flavor than homemade) if you can't
find vegetable shortening.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy