SC - Another Pea Recipe

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Sat Feb 13 10:51:19 PST 1999

I found this one in The Good Huswife's Jewell by Thomas Dawson 1596:

To make a close Tarte of Greene Pease

Take half a peck of greene Pease, sheale them and seeth them, and cast them
into a cullender, and let the water go from them then put them into the Tart
whole, & season then with Pepper, saffron & salte, and a dish of sweet butter,
close and bake him almost one houre, then drawe him, and put to him a little
Vergice, and shake them and set them into the Ovven againe, and so serve it.

These look like fresh shelled peas to me. How much is half a peck?  And did
the term "sweet butter" refer to unsalted butter as it does today?

Renata
Barony of Altavia
Kingdom of Caid
Los Angeles, CA