SC - period bread comments

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Mon Feb 15 15:40:28 PST 1999

Greetings from Elizabeth Braidwood,

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com wrote:
> Try experimenting with spelt flour.  I think this may also answer our question
> concerning poundage.  A machine-made loaf of spelt bread weighs considerably
> more than the same size loaf made from regular wheat or whole wheat flour.
> Wolfmother

I can confirm this statment. Through a pleasant coincidance, I made
two batches of bread yesterday using the same recipe, but used whole grain
wheat flour for one (ground it myself from the berry) and whole grain
spelt for the other (ground by the producer). The spelt was noticeably
heavier than the wheat.

It also rose (raised?) faster than the whole wheat -- to the point where
although I had timed the batches for baking a half-hour apart, they were
both ready for the oven at the same time. Odd, that.

E.B.