SC - cookbook list

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 07:35:04 PST 1999

On 2/14/99 10:14 AM you wrote:

>From:	renfrow at skylands.net (Cindy Renfrow)
>Hello!  What I'm looking for is a list, broken down by country/language of
>origin, & sorted by date of publication rather than by author/title.

What a coincidence.  My obsessive bump has been activated in the last
week, literally, to go hunt all the available primary source references I
can find!  I've just started working on a list in this format.  What I'm
interested in is what was available when (chronological), plus where,
since I see so many requests for sources for X culture/geographical area.
 I have about 8 pages so far, and I'm making it look something like ...

1301-1400 / 14thC - Spanish? - Journal article - Merle, J. Osset. "Un
libro de cocina del siglo XIV". IN Boletin de la sociedad  castellonense
de cultura 17(1935) pp.156-177.
1309 - English - Constance Heiatt: Curye on Inglische (is this Form of
Curye?)
1395 - French - Menagier (MF, Brereton & Ferrier...)
1401-1500 / 15thC - French - CHIQUART'S 'ON COOKERY'. Peter Lang. 1986. A
Terrence Scully translation of a 15th century Savoy culinary treatise.
Original recipes only ...;IN MISC - E. Cook, trans.

I've got LOTS of Century dates, and nationality ?-marks at this point,
8-).  Nationality-of-origin may or may not correspond to
language-of-available-text.  As you can see, at this point I'm sludging
in different info about available editions, and some shorthand as to
whether or not -I- currently have a copy of whatever...  It's pretty
rough at the moment, and looks like it's going to take at least another
couple of weeks for the skeleton, because of the scant time available I
have to work on it...

I hadn't thought of it, but I could add notes about which titles are
available in the US, at institutions that will ILL (interlibrary loan),
at some point (like after I've had my look at them, 8-)).

FYI, the library jargon for what Valoise was referring to as a MARC
search is probably more like "an OCLC First Search" -- and once you watch
the Librarian do a couple, you may be able (and encouraged) to take over
and do it yourself...  WorldCat searching from First Search is VERY
easy...

If I ever finish this, maybe we'll be able to squeeze it onto our Food
page...

Chimene