SC - eggs in moonshine- close but OOP recipe

melc2newton at juno.com melc2newton at juno.com
Tue Feb 16 10:42:19 PST 1999

In my desire to get away from Feb. weather, I hit the gardening books
(like I do every year this time) in the library , and came up with a good
one. If you haven't seen _The Scented Garden_ by Rosemary Verey, you may
well want to. She covers roses, herbs,  shrubs, seems like every plant
that has a decent scent, including their histories, growing instructions,
and recipes.

The one that really caught my eye was "eggs in moonshine"  which she
adapted form Kirby Hall "Receipts" of about 1650.

Heat 500ml/2 cups of rosewater in a shallow saucepan and add 250g/1 cup
sugar. Boil to dissolve the sugar. Take eight eggs and separate the yolks
from the whites. Poach the yolks in the rose water syrup until they are
firm. Arrange them on a flat dish and pour the sweetened rose water over
them. Cool in the refrigerator and serve sith bread and butter with
chopped lemon balm used as a garnish.

I thought that this would make a good first course, or, even better a
dish for a high tea type meal.

Beatrix
who is planning some flower gardens, but we'll see how far we get this
year! :)

Oakheart, Calontir
Springfield, Mo