SC - OT: pigments

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Tue Feb 16 11:15:13 PST 1999

<snip>>

>I actually already use cadmium red, yellow, and orange in watercolors, but it
>doesn't look like Master John the Artificer makes them to sell as ground
>pigments.  Based on the advice of those on the scribes list work with these
>type of pigments on a regular basis, they are much safer in cake form as shell
>colors, which is what I'll be doing with them before I use them.
>
>Noemi

Hello!  What do you mean by "shell colors"? (My dictionary must have 30
definitions for "shell", but nothing that would apply to pigments.)  What
would "shell" mean in relation to this recipe from Murrell?

from _A Daily Exercise for Ladies and Gentlewomen_, 1617:

#76 - To make any other conceit as Buttons, Beades, Chaines, &c.

Having fashioned your buttons made of this stuff all of a bignesse,
either with your hand and knife, or in a mould, if with a knife, then
you may turne vp the ridges and the nib, like the threds of silke
buttons, and the gound-worke is white of it selfe, if you will haue
them greene and white, then temper sap-green with gum Arabick water on
the top of your pensill, and strike it down the ridges of the button,
not touching the button on the creases.  If you will haue them siluer,
then strike them downe with shell-siluer, the like may be done with
shell-gold.  if blew, then Azur being first steept in vinegar, for else
it is verie dangerous, the vinegar killeth the strength of the blew:
If you would haue them red, then vse "Rosa-paris" (italics in the
original) on the top of your pensil: when these buttons be readie and
drie, you may set them vpon a card of Sugar plate, and fasten them with
Gum-dragon steept in damaske Rose-water and the owne paste tempered
verie soft, serue it in on plates of glasse, or keep it as long as you
will.

Regards,

Cindy