SC - OT: pigments

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 11:37:44 PST 1999

In a message dated 2/16/1999 12:08:47 PM Mountain Standard Time,
renfrow at skylands.net writes:

<< Hello!  What do you mean by "shell colors"?>>

Ooops. . .I was using scribal terms there. . .

Shell colors are when you take the natural pigments mix them with binder and a
bit of water, place them in shells and let them dry.  It creates something
similar to a modern cake watercolor and makes the more dangerous pigments a
bit safer because you aren't inhaling the powder. (Unless you happen to point
your brushes by  sucking on them. :->)

<<What would "shell" mean in relation to this recipe from Murrell?>>

The shell-siluer (I'm guesssing that is shell-silver) and shell-gold would be
similer, and are specially prepared gold and silver, again mixed with binder
and placed in to shells to use for painting.  Preparing the gold to make into
shell gold was supposed to be a dangerous process, using cyanide I think.

Noemi