SC - Sourdough OOP -- Did We Ever Reach a Concensus?

THLRenata at aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 19:47:09 PST 1999

Bear writes:

>>I don't think a consensus was reached.  I tend to keep mine covered to avoid
molds and I would close the jar if I put it in the refrigerator to reduce
dehydration.<<

By "covered" do you mean with a lid or with cheese cloth or what?  Mine is in
a 1 1/2 liter jar with one of those hinge tops that sort of clamp on, with a
rubber gasket-like thing. (Sorry for the technical language.)  I keep the top
over the mouth of the jar but not clamped shut -- there is about an inch
opening left.  Should I leave it this way when it's out on the counter and
close it when (if) I put it in the fridge?  Should I take the rubber gasket
off, maybe?

BTW, Bear, now that the starter is awake, I'm going to try your method fro
fresh bread for dinner tomorrow. I plan to set up up and let it rise all day
while I'm at work, then do the 2nd rise when I get home.

Renata