SC - cardboard box cookers

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:30:24 PST 1999

Stephen and Stephanie Dale wrote:

> Hello everyone, I am new to the list and receive the digest. I thought I'd
> de-lurk after reading the post asking about how to cook a roast on site. It
> reminded me about some sites I found about creating a portable  "oven" out
> of a cardboard box and plexiglass or heavy plastic. You set the box in the
> sun all day and the food cooks because the box has trapped the ultaviolet
> radiation (I think). I though it would be a neat experiment to try at
> Pennsic, or at weekend camping events in the southern climes. It is being
> used with great success in Africa at this time by people who are too poor to
> own a stove. I also thought it would be great for the people of Haiti to use
> since the island is deforrested. Any thoughts? I will post the URL if there
> is interest.
> Aislinn Columba of Carlisle
> Barony of Dunn Carraig
> Atlantia

I posted this very information about a week ago, maybe two.  I'm determined to
make one of those myself. There are many designs, a web search on "solar oven"
will turn up a number of sites.  They range from the cardboard box, to wood
and glass and shiny aluminum, elaborate but still portable, to permanently
installed and aimed "satellite dish" styles.  I've seen a picture of a bank of
these last at a (school? orphanage?) in India. There were a dozen of them
being used to cook cafeteria-quantities of food.

For my own trial, I currently favor making the insulated, black painted
cardboard box with a pane of glass over the top so the food is in an enclosed
(no bugs) space.  I like the insulation idea as insurance that the temperature
is really hot enough for safety.  On my list of materials to aquire is an
plain cast iron dutch oven.  My dutch oven is enameled white, and the solar
oven designs all emphasize using reflective material to direct the light and
dark material to absorb the heat.

If you do make one, please let me know how it turns out.

Bonne