SC - SC German Herbs, Spices, and Ingredients (long)

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sat Feb 20 19:56:28 PST 1999

Adamantius wrote

>I was thinking that there's a big change between Ein Buoch Von Guter
>Spise (early 14th century) and Sabina Welserin's kochbuch (mid 16th),

Yes, exactly. There is a definite change to what we would perceive today as
German, even though there a many dishes that appear to be carried over from
an earlier time.

Now, one might be able to argue
>(and this is something I haven't researched sufficiently) that the
>former source is more like court cookery, while the latter is more
>wealthy but bourgoise, along the lines of Le Menagier. My point is only
>that the differences I see might be the result of comparing apples and
>oranges. Can anyone address that one?

When I first looked at Sabina Welserin I thought it would be a clear case
of bourgoisie vs. court cooking. But then I started researching the Welsers
and found that this was not an average merchant family. by any means. In
the first half of the 16th they financed a colony in the Carribean and
obtained the rights to colonize Venezuela as a reward for bankrolling some
of the Hapsburgs activities. As a matter of fact, Phillipine Welser married
a Hapsburg who became the Archduke of Tyrol.

There is also the problem of the recipe for a sauce thickened with a roux
that appears in Sabina's book. Not a distinctly German idea, but definitely
a modern and not medieval method.

Nice puzzle to unravel.

Valoise