SC - cream of tartar

Sun Feb 21 20:43:00 PST 1999

> Is cream of tartar period?
>
> Luveday

To my knowledge, it was not used in SCA period.  I have a number of recipes
from the 19th Century, some of them early enough to suggest that it was used
in the 18th Century.

Cream or tartar (potassium bitartrate), pearl ash (potassium carbonate) and
baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) were used as chemical leavening agents. In
combination with pearl ash or baking soda, cream of tartar, being acidic,
boosts the production of carbon dioxide.  Modern baking powder is a blend of
starch, baking soda and cream of tartar.

If it were used in period cooking, I would expect to find it used in
combination with hartshorn

Bear