SC - Brazier? was Mortar and pestle illustration?

snowfire at mail.snet.net snowfire at mail.snet.net
Mon Feb 22 16:54:41 PST 1999

- -Poster: Jean Holtom <Snowfire at mail.snet.net>

>> how did they
>>  heat beverages? Stove?? Charcoal Brazier?? What did such a thing look like?

>>  Corwyn

>In some cases, a hot poker or iron was quenched in the container.  Don't think
>that would work for a beverage that needs to be brewed.  Another method might
>be to pour boiling water from a cook pot into a vessel holding the beans, then
>strain it into a serving vessel.  Or you might try steeping it in the cup,
>like tea.  I have no idea how "they" did it in the middle ages, but lacking
>documentation to the contrary, these would be my suggestions.

What about dropping stones or "pot boilers" into the water?  They used this
method to heat water to boil meat in some places in Scotland until the 18th
century.  Also re: the mortar and pestle, I'm not sure if the lady was asking
for historical evidence of them, but when we were talking about mashed foods
some weeks back, I seem to remember Adamantius mentioning something about the
Vikings being the ones to introduce the mortar and pestle into Britain.

If this helps :-)